Tuesday 2 October 2012

Drawing Surgery: Experiments With Ink, Gouache, and Observational Drawing

For my first drawing surgery project blog post I've focused on observational drawing and experimented with ink and gouache. I'd never used gouache before today, but have found that it is a lot like working with watercolour.

This drawing was done after observing, sketching, and photographing swans in Hollyrood Park. I wanted to use ink and a brush to draw loose, free lines and capture the movement seen in the swans on the water. Although it was tempting to add a lot more detail to the birds, I kept them simple with quick brush strokes to try something different and achieve a different effect.


2 comments:

  1. Gouache is great for making even backgrounds. We used it a lot in my design class. I like the simplicity it reminds me of Japanese/Chinese ink paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is cool, I think the idea of keeping it simple really worked out well. could be used for loads of things; wrapping paper, cards or the beginning of some sort of story about swans... i like how you also drew them all in a group together even though they probably weren't like this when you saw them, looks kind of intimidating!

    ReplyDelete